Friday, October 06, 2006

Here’s another piece of what may or may not be a book some day.

I’ll be the first to admit that what God says is true beyond question but figuring out what God says is pretty difficult at times. What we need are some fundamentals that we can all agree on and leave the rest up for debate. Again we run into the problem of who gets to decide what’s fundamental and what’s up for debate and no matter who gets to make the choice they are subject to being wrong. I don’t know about you but it makes me want to walk away and forget all of it. If I can’t be sure of much of anything why try?

Maybe being sure is not the issue. Maybe getting everything just right is not the issue. Maybe trusting is the issue.

As a child I didn’t worry about much. I was never concerned about who was paying for supper. I never doubted the light bill was going to get paid. I can’t remember being concerned about being evicted from the house because the rent wasn’t paid. Now that I’m an adult those things tend to pass through my head on occasion but as a child I was happy and carefree.

Is it possible to deal with God on this level? Can we seek to know Christ with a child like approach and not worry about crossing all the t’s and dotting all the I’s. On one level this sounds like sacrilege but on another it’s kind of exciting. How about having a relationship with God that’s not based on performance, understanding or doctrine but based on the fact I’m adopted into the family.

As I said this is frightening one hand. Who’s in and who’s out. What’s acceptable and what’s not? How can we be sure we’re doing things the way God wants? We’ll the fact is I’m not sure we can know. We can do our best and leave it in the hands of God. If your honest I think you’ll find out the stuff we worry about really isn’t the stuff we can do anything about any way. We tend to worry about what’s not our responsibility. Who’s in and who’s out is not my responsibility. I can accept anyone who calls Christ his or her Lord and savior, brother or sister. I don’t think doing it right is near as important as doing it with the right heart. While I’m all for seeking the truth I’m more for seeking to let Christ dwell in me and have his way.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger adam said...

I think you make a great point.

The real question is this: how can we approach God as anything but ignorant children? We do not understand him or his ways. Who can explain him? Who has knows his motives, his plans? We have no viable choice but to humble ourselves before him, not as servant-slaves, but as children with their father.

And good fathers love their children. They do not expect perfection or adult behavior. Good fathers understand that children are naturally limited. You can be sure that our father understands our limitations.

This being the case, I don't think he expects any of us to get it all right. I think he does expect us to love--him first and then each other. And we can't do that if we're constantly telling one another why I'm right and you're wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter free hit unique web